Now nothing I’ve read in the CQC handbook states we can’t have one of these policies. In fact in these days of regulation it seems to me to be sensible to have a policy to protect your staff and team from people who might not be all they seem.
So here is my ‘Professional Visitors’ policy. Feel free to use it if you wish.
I’m embracing this need for policies totally. I think my next one will be ‘Instructions for Sitting the correct way up on a toilet’.
Thackeray Dental Care Professional Visitor Policy
This policy is written to ensure the safety of all members of the public, employees and Professional visitors to Thackeray Dental Care. It takes into account the confidentiality policy, the Child and Vulnerable Adults Protection policy, the relevant Health and Safety legislation, and the Health and Social Care act.
Employee – those members of the Public employed at Thackeray Dental Care
Public – members of the public who may or may not be patients of the practice.
Professional Visitors – employees or members of regulatory bodies such as the Primary Care Trust, Care Quality Commission, H&S Executive, Inland Revenue or such that have a legislative right of entry to the premises.
• The Professional visitor will identify themselves to Reception upon arrival.
• Identification documents will be produced by the visitor for verification by the Practice Manager. Evidence of recent eCRB will need to be provided if the visitor is wishing to interview employees or patients/public in accordance with the Practice Protection policy. A copy of this policy is available if requested.
• The identification of the Visitor may need to be confirmed by the superiors of the Visitor. If this confirmation is not possible for any reason, the visit will be terminated immediately and rescheduled at such a time as the confirmation is forthcoming.
• Once the identity has been verified of the visitor, the practice manager will brief the Professional visitor as to this policy.
• Video and/or sound recording of the visit will be used in order to protect the Employees, the Principal, and the Visitor from any legal challenges resulting from the visit. The visit will only proceed once consent is obtained from the visitor for this to occur.
• Video, picture and sound recording will remain the property of Thackeray Dental Care, and in accordance with the data protection act will not be shared with any third party to the visit. The data will remain on record indefinitely.
• If an eCRB certification valid within the last 3 months is available, then the visitor will be allowed to interview both employees and members of the public without being accompanied by the Practice Manager. If the eCRB is more than 3 months old, or there is no evidence of an eCRB being available, then the visitor will be allowed access to employees and public only if accompanied by an eCRB checked member of Thackeray Dental Care.
• No patients will be cancelled in order to accommodate the Visitor. Patient care is the prime concern of Thackeray Dental Care, and under no circumstances will patient care be compromised.
• If the visitor wishes to interview Employees or members of the public, and has the relevant eCRB, the visitor will conduct themselves professionally, courteously, and with complete respect for the person they are interviewing. The interviewee will be informed beforehand that if they in any way perceive they are feeling threatened or uncomfortable then they are able to cease the interview immediately.
• If a member of the public or an employee do feel that there is any discourtesy, or they feel threatened/vulnerable in any way, the visit will be terminated immediately and the visitor will be escorted from the premises. The video evidence will be reviewed, and made available to the visitor and their superiors.
• The visitor will retain a professional, polite, and courteous manner at all times within the practice.
• Copies of this signed document will be given to the Visitor, and kept on file at Thackeray Dental Care.
I confirm that I have read the above visitors policy and understood the content of the document. I understand that video, sound or photographic recording will be made, and after a period
Signed…………………………………… On Behalf of Thackeray DentalCare